Wednesday, March 21, 2012

My first attempt at homemeade baking...Funfetti Cupcakes...FAIL

I was craving sweets the other night and decided to torture myself by looking at pictures and recipes for cupcakes online. I was especially craving a funfetti cupcake. But not the kind from a box (though my husband is the bext "box baker" ever). I wanted this particular kind that a coworker made for a friend's "going away" party at work. I have no idea who the coworker is/was as I think she is newish. But she made these incredible homemade funfetti cupcakes. She also made these incredible lemon with cream cheese frosting cupcakes. This woman was awesome. But back to the funfetti...

The cupcakes didn't have those normal, tiny sprinkles in/on them. They had chunky, almost chewy sprinkles that I adored. I ate like 3 of them (they were small...back off). I cannot find a recipe for funfetti cupcakes with chunky sprinkles though. So I settled for the recipe at How Sweet It Is for homemade funfetti cupcakes.  I mainly picked this recipe due to the fact that I had all of the ingredients (minus the powdered sugar for the frosting, but my husband is getting that for me as we speak).

So I took a chance and whipped these together today.  Unfortunately, I should never operate an oven while also looking at baby stuff online.  It's just not safe for ehatever is in the oven..or our house really.  I overbaked the cupcakes.  The timer went off at 18 minutes, I checked them and decided my fork was not being removed cleanly...so I stuck them back in the oven.  Now at that moment, I knew I was a distracted baker.  I KNEW I should set the timer for 2 minutes.  But I didn't.  So about 10 minutes passed and I pondered the awesome smell of my house while looking at an adorable corcheted yoda hat online.  Then it hit me.  OH NO!  And yed, the cupcakes are a bit brown.  Probably dry too.  But I won't know that until I have one tonight after I get the powdered sugar for the frosting.  Oh well.  I can always make more tomorrow and try, try, try again.

Anyway, here is the recipe for those interested:

Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 whole eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.



Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl.


Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients.



Fold in assorted sprinkles. DO NOT "OVER MIX" THE SPRINKLES.  Just lightly fold them in.  If you mix them too much, they will turnt he batter all sorts of weird colors instead of just adding pops of color.  I learned this on another website.


Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full.

Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool.


Oops. 

I'll post the frosting recipe and pics after I have completed it all.

 Here is a random picture of my cat...fully enjoying our new couch.


EDIT:  I didn't make the frosting after all.  After about 15 minutes of cooling...my poor overbaked cupcakes hardened to biscuits.  Sooo, first attempt was a fail.  I will try again this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment